Best Surfboard Wax
Best Surf Wax for surfing in 2018
Interested in buying surf wax for your new surfboard? Here are a few things to look at that may help you choose the right one.
In the past, Sex Wax was the clear leader for board wax in the surfing industry as well as other water related sports. Today, however, Sex Wax has fallen behind the competition from Sticky Bumps Surf Wax for many surfers. Sticky Bumps is the largest manufacturer of surf wax in the world, and their new lineup of different kinds of surf wax is really putting pressure on Sex Wax and other wax brands. In fact, it’s tough to compare the Sticky Bumps wax side-by-side and not be amazed by how much more advanced their surf wax is than the Sex Wax. Still, some people love the brand name Sex Wax, or want to save some money and will end up choosing something like the Mrs. Palmers, which is still very capable surf wax.
Surf Training Factory’s Top 3 Surf Wax For 2018:
- Sticky Bumps Tour Series Surf Wax (click to check current price on Amazon) – Sticky Bumps is the brand name and nobody will be disappointed if you choose the Sticky Bumps brand. We have used this wax for years now and it is amazing!
- Palmers Wax (click to check current price on Amazon) – Mrs. Palmers is actually also one of the oldest wax that ever came out. It is not sold everywhere but it is still good wax. It is used by many Professional surfers and still very popular. But with this wax you cannot add another wax on top of it, it will remove it.
- Sex Wax Quick Humps (click to check current price on Amazon) – Sex Wax Quick Humps is the newest version of Sex Wax. It’s made with new technology and some professional surfers use it. For me personally, I really like the smell of this wax and I don’t feel a strong grip.
Why I Picked the Sticky Bumps Tour Series Surf Wax
When you sit down and compare the Sticky Bumps Tour Series Surf Wax to the Sex Wax, the difference is surprising.
- Sticky Bumps Tour Series offers significantly better grip traction on a surfboard. The Sex Wax is too soft.
- Sticky Bumps offers a longer lasting grip on a surfboard, which is nice on surf trips or when you run out of wax.
- Sticky Bumps can be mixed with other surf wax and it will not affect the grip. Sex Wax or Mrs. Palmers will remove the wax under if mixed with another kind.
- Sticky Bumps does not go all over your shorts and bikinis, which is nice because it does not ruin your clothing after every surf session.
Features to look for in a quality surf wax:
- Different temperature – wax (though this alone does not guarantee a better grip) definitely getting a wax that is appropriate with the water temperature of where you are going to surf.
- Stickiness – a wax that will give you a great grip and will not let you wipeout easily. But not too sticky, because then it goes all over your clothing.
- Long durability. When put on, will last a long time before becoming too soft with no grip left.
- Hard to melt- Hot temperatures will make your wax melt, but a wax that takes a little longer to melt or even melts and then still grips when cold again is the best way to go.
- A box where the wax is stored. This might not seem like a big deal until the wax is all melted on your car seat. Make sure it comes with a paper box that you can put it back in after every use.
- Easy to wax – all wax is fairly easy to wax but you want one that will be covering the whole surfboard the first time without having to spend too much time going over the places that didn’t get covered.
- Usable with any other types – A surf wax that you can use with another surf wax brand is great, it will always be different but if one day you run out of your wax and your buddy has a different one you want to make sure that you can do that on your surfboard.
“I’ve never known the difference between all the surf wax available, now I do! Thank you for the advice.” – Chase
Here is a great clip of the kind of grip you can expect to achieve with a great surf wax…
So if you’ve been sitting around and dreaming about your next surf session and the right surf wax that you should be using on your surfboard, why don’t you try it out? With prices for a quality surf wax at around $2 it’s definitely not out of reach. The thrill of having those amazing days of surfing forever without a lot of slippery wipeouts will be priceless!
Places to buy surf wax
Sticky Bumps Surf Wax produce a great range of surf wax depending on what type of surfboard, and temperature you are surfing in. They make a surf wax that doesn’t require a base coat but if you are really picky about that, they also offer it. If you enjoyed what you saw in the video clip above then the Sticky Bumps Tour Series if for you.
Want to know my advice before you buy? As with any product, have a look around online and compare prices before you jump in. Make sure you get the best wax from the real company, and not the cheapest wax!
About Surf Wax
A Surf Wax, Also known as wax, is surfing equipment you will always need to put on your surfboard for some grip when surfing. They are required or else you will be falling and slipping every time you would try to stand on your surfboard. Unless you have a foam surfboard which will already have some grip but not fully.
Surf Wax is very small that you can easily fit in your pocket or bag. There are really only two types of surf wax used by professional surfers today. Sticky Bumps Tour Series which are generally more popular and cheaper of their simpler find and easy to use. Mrs. Palmers is also a very popular surf wax used by many people but not very to find anymore.